Housing and benefit fraud

Housing and Tenancy fraud is a crime, depriving people in genuine need of a home. This type of fraud can include:

  • Moving out of social housing and renting it to someone else (sub-letting).
  • Moving out of social housing and leaving it empty.
  • Obtaining social housing through deception by making a fraudulent application.
  • Fraudulent applications to obtain rights to remain in a property after the current tenant dies.
  • Illegally assigning a social housing application to someone else or taking (or making) a payment for a mutual exchange.

If you know someone committing benefit fraud, report it:

  • Online at gov.uk.
  • Call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline free on 0800 854 440. Your call is anonymous and confidential - you do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512 or Welsh speakers can call on 0800 678 3722.
  • By post to NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP.

Anyone with information or suspicions about tenancy fraud can also call Tandridge District Council on 01883 722000, or e-mail customerservices@tandridge.gov.uk.

More information