Benefit appeals

Housing benefit appeals

If you believe there has been a mistake with your benefit award please contact us immediately. You can also call 01883 722000 or visit us. If you phone or visit we can explain your benefit to you. If you are still unsure about any aspect of your claim, you can make an appointment for a private interview with us. These enquiries are not part of any appeals process and do not extend the time limits that apply to your appeal options.

If you are still not happy with your benefit award, you can:

Request a written explanation

You must write to us within one calendar month of the date on the decision letter to ask for more information on how your benefit was worked out. If you ask for a written explanation it will extend the time allowed to take up other appeal options, by the number of days it takes us to reply.

Ask for your case to be reconsidered

You must put this request in writing and state why you do not agree with the benefit award. This must be done within one calendar month of the date on the original decision letter or within the ‘written explanation letter extended deadline’ (see point 1 above).

If you are out of time to ask for a reconsideration, we will only review the decision if there is a good reason for the delay. We aim to deal with your request within 10 working days and will write to you to tell you the outcome. If your benefit is changed in your favour, you will get a new benefit decision letter and the appeals process starts again. If your benefit is unchanged or is not in your favour you can appeal to the Independent Tribunal.

Ask for an appeal to an independent tribunal

The appeal request must be made in writing to the Head of Benefits, Tandridge District Council, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0BT within one calendar month of the date on the original decision letter or the outcome of your case being reconsidered. It must state the decision you disagree with and give your reasons. You must sign the letter and include your name and address in it. You can e-mail the letter to customer services.

At this point we must reconsider your claim. If we change our decision we will write to you with our decision and will not forward your letter to the Tribunals Service.

If we do not change our decision, we will forward your letter to the Tribunals Service, which will send you a pre-hearing enquiry form. You must complete and return this to the Tribunals Service within 14 days from the date on the covering letter.

On receipt of the completed pre-hearing enquiry form, the Tribunals Service will decide whether to hold a hearing and advise you of the hearing date, which is usually at least 14 weeks after your appeal is lodged.

In exceptional cases a late appeal can be made, in writing explaining the reason for the delay, but never more than 13 months after the original decision. The Tribunals Service decides whether to accept the appeal or not.

You will usually be given the chairperson’s decision at the end of the tribunal and the decision will be sent to you by post. If you still disagree, you will be told whether you have any further right of appeal. Details of this will be in the decision letter.

Council Tax Reduction appeals

If you are unhappy with the reduction to your council tax you can:

Ask for an explanation of our decision

If you disagree with our decision regarding Council Tax Reduction you can ask us to explain our decision in more detail. You can write to us requesting a written explanation of all or any part of the assessment. You must do this within one calendar month of the date on the original decision letter.

Challenge the decision

If you want to challenge a decision affecting your Council Tax Reduction, write to our benefits team explaining why you think it is wrong. You can challenge our decision regarding your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction or the amount of the reduction. This must be done within one calendar month of the date on the original decision letter. We will review your claim and write to you with our decision.

Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal

If we do not respond or you are not happy with our decision, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within two months of our decision. Complete the Valuation Tribunal appeal form carefully following the instructions on it and submit it online.

For more information on the appeal process and what to expect visit the Valuation Tribunal’s appeal process.

Help and advice

Please contact us. Free independent advice is also available from your local Citizens Advice Bureau:

  • Caterham: 01883 344777
  • Oxted: 01883 715525
  • East Grinstead: 01342 321638

We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You can update your settings at any time.

Cookie policy info

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser and subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies are a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly necessary cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website eg logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website, so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.