Tell us if your circumstances change

If you already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you must tell us immediately if you or the people living with you have any changes in circumstances.

To report a change in your circumstances, you will need to use your current Benefits reference number. This is a number starting with 500 or 550, and it can be found on any of the benefit letters you have received from us.

Some changes may mean you are entitled to more benefits, but others could mean you no longer qualify for benefits or should receive a lower amount. Always report any change in circumstances as soon as it happens.

Examples of changes you need to tell us about include:

  • Start or stopping work.
  • Changing jobs.
  • Increase or decrease to earnings.
  • Changes to working hours.
  • Child care payments start, stop or the amount changes.
  • Child leaving education.
  • Changes to any DWP or HMRC benefits you receive.
  • Started receiving DWP or HMRC benefits
  • Changing address.
  • Rent increase or decrease.
  • Someone moving in or out.
  • Changes to private/occupational pensions.
  • Starting self-employed work.
  • New child.

This is not a complete list. If you are unsure, tell us anyway.

You will need to provide us with proof of any changes to your circumstances before we can update your claim.

What happens next? 

We will look at your claim as soon as we can and we will write to you if we need more information.

Please leave up to 10 working days for your claim to be processed.