Claiming council tax support

You can claim council tax support if you are unemployed or on a low income and are liable to pay council tax for your home. How much you would be entitled to will depend on you and your household's income and circumstances.

Universal Credit does not cover your council tax costs. For help with this you will need to make a claim separately.

If you have more than £16,000 in capital you will not qualify for council tax support unless you are over 60 and you receive Guarantee Pension Credit. The property you live in does not count as capital.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Council Tax Benefit was replaced by a locally set Council Tax Reduction scheme in April 2013.

You can find out more about this from our document about our Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Second adult rebate

If you are not entitled to council tax support you may be entitled to second adult rebate. You can claim second adult rebate if you have another adult living with you who:

  • Is 18 or over.
  • Is not your husband, wife, partner or civil partner.
  • Does not have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax.
  • Does not have to pay you rent.
  • Is not a joint owner or joint tenant of the property with you.
  • Is not a licensee of the property.
  • Has income below a certain amount, or who gets certain benefits.
  • Is not someone who is ignored when the local authority works out who lives with you – for example someone who is currently in prison, or who is severely mentally impaired.

What can you claim

  • If all second adults get Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) Pension Guarantee Credit, Employment Support Allowance (Income Related), the claimant will be entitled to receive a 25% reduction.
  • If all second adults have a combined gross income of £188.99 or less per week, the reduction will be 15%.
  • If all second adults have a combined gross income of between £189 and £245.99 per week, the reduction will be 7.5%.

If all second adults have a combined gross income of £246 or more per week, there is no entitlement to second adult rebate.

If the above applies to your circumstances, please apply for support online.

Council tax discretionary payment (CTDP)

We can consider awarding a CTDP if you are suffering severe financial hardship and cannot pay the difference between the council tax you are charged and the amount of council tax support you receive.

Find out more and apply for a Council Tax Discretionary Payment.