Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is a means tested support available to help pay council tax bills. All your income is considered against an amount determined by your personal/family situation. The support is credited as an annual figure to your council tax bill and can be for all or part of your full council tax.
Apply for council tax support.
Second adult rebate
If you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction you may be entitled to second adult rebate (also known as alternative maximum CTR) instead. You can claim second adult rebate if you have another adult living with you who:
- Is 18 or over.
- Is not your husband, wife, partner or civil partner.
- Doesn't have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax.
- Doesn't have to pay you rent.
- Is not a joint owner or joint tenant of the property with you.
- Is not a licensee of the property.
- Has income below a certain amount, or who gets certain benefits.
- Is not someone who is ignored when the local authority works out who lives with you – for example someone who is currently in prison, or who is severely mentally impaired.
What you can claim
- If all second adults get Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) Pension Guarantee Credit, Employment Support Allowance (Income Related), the claimant will be entitled to receive a 25% reduction.
- If all second adults have a combined gross income of £188.99 or less per week, the reduction will be 15%.
- If all second adults have a combined gross income of between £189 and £245.99 per week, the reduction will be 7.5%.
- If all second adults have a combined gross income of £246 or more per week, there is no entitlement to Second Adult Rebate.
Visit gov.uk for information about allowances the government can provide.
Apply for second adult rebate
Fill in the council tax support form or the Benefit Application Form. You will need to provide proof of the gross incomes of the other adults living with you.
You don’t have to supply us with details of your own income and/or savings, but if you do we will use the information to calculate if you are entitled to main council tax benefit. We will compare the two (Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate) and award you the higher of the two. You are not entitled to both.