Data protection and freedom of information

The Freedom of Information Act assumes all government information, including information held by local councils such as Tandridge, will be made available unless there is a reason not to do so. There are some exemptions and the council is not obliged to provide information it does not already hold.

If you want to make a request please complete our freedom of information form or e-mail

Please give as much detail as possible including.

  • Your real name.
  • An address we can reply to - this can be an e-mail or postal address.

We can accept a request by social media, such as Twitter, as long as it meets the above requirements, but we will only reply by letter or e-mail to ensure we can provide a detailed response.

We have to provide any information requested within 20 working days. In cases where this may not be possible or there may be a delay, we will discuss how your request can be met. If the request requires exceptional effort, you may be asked to pay the costs of meeting your requirement.

Information currently available from the Council under existing arrangements, such as Land Charges enquiries or the Data Protection Act is not affected by the Freedom of Information act.

Find out more on

Every council also has to maintain a Publication Scheme, sets out the type of information it holds, how the information is published and if a charge is made for the information. This makes a significant amount of information available, without the need for a specific request. In addition the Transparency Code categorises the data councils are required to publish.

From 25 May 2018, General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) came into force.  The overall aim is to improve transparency, accountability and governance for data. The Act protects personal data about living individuals and places obligations on us as data controllers, an organisation that processes personal data.

We know how important keeping your personal data secure and safe is. It's very important to us too. We only collect and keep personal information about you so we can provide the services you need, to help us keep details about those services and our contact with you. We will only share your personal data to help us provide services. 

We use many kinds of personal information to enable us to deliver our services.  We don’t use all data in the same way. Some of it is useful for monitoring and improving our services, or for providing services to you. But some of it is private and sensitive and we treat it accordingly.  For more detail please read our privacy notice.

The Council has registered its use of personal information to the Information Commissioner's Office. The Information Commissioner's Office oversees the Act.  If you would like further information about data protection, please contact the Information Commissioner or e-mail our

The General Data Protection Regulations provide the following rights for individuals:

  • The right to be informed
  • The right of access
  • The right to rectification
  • The right to erasure
  • The right to restrict processing
  • The right to data portability
  • The right to object
  • Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling

You have the right to request a copy of information held about yourself. A request can be made through a third party and in these cases we need to be satisfied that the third party making the request is entitled to act on your behalf.

To find out how to request a copy of the personal data we may hold about you, please go to Making a Subject Access Request.