Councillor conduct

We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You can update your settings at any time.

Cookie policy info

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser and subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies are a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly necessary cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website eg logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website, so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.

Code of Conduct

Every Council is required to adopt a Code of Conduct that sets out the rules governing the behaviour of its Councillors. All elected or co-opted members of the Council are covered by the code. The Council’s Code of Conduct is available in Part F – Codes, Schemes and Protocols of the Council’s Constitution.

Councillors' conduct

Everyone expects good standards of behaviour from those they elect to represent them. To support that, Tandridge District Council and all parishes have adopted a code of conduct to govern the way we expect councillors to behave.

Tandridge District Council is responsible for upholding high standards of governance within its area and considering complaints against individual District and Parish Councillors who have breached the Council's Code of Conduct.

Most complaints are considered and dealt with by the Council's Monitoring Officer. However, more serious matters may be referred to the Standards Committee. The Standards Committee is appointed to:

  • promote and maintain high standards of conduct by Councillors and co-opted members
  • assist councillors and co-opted members to observe the Councillors' Code of Conduct
  • advise the Council on the adoption and revision of the Councillors' Code of Conduct
  • monitor the operation of the Councillors' Code of Conduct
  • advise, train or arrange to train Councillors and co-opted Members on matters relating to the Councillors' Code of Conduct.

Please be aware that Tandridge District Council cannot deal with complaints about the actions or decisions of a parish council as a whole, or a parish clerk. All such complaints need to be referred to the relevant parish council.

Further, Tandridge District Council can only consider complaints when Councillors are deemed to be 'acting in capacity' as a Councillor - we cannot deal with more general complaints about the private lives of Councillors.

Making a complaint about a Councillor

You can make a complaint about a Councillor if you believe they have broken any part of the Code of Conduct, this could be:

  • failing to treat people with respect
  • causing the local authority to breach equality laws
  • revealing information that was given to them in confidence
  • stopping someone getting information they are entitled to by law
  • damaging the reputation of the authority
  • using their position improperly, to their own or someone else's advantage or disadvantage
  • misusing the authority's resources
  • allowing the authority's resources to be misused for the activities of a registered political party
  • failing to reveal an interest at a meeting
  • compromising the impartiality of Officers
  • taking part in a meeting or making a decision where the Member has an interest

All complaints will need to be in writing. However, if you request that your details remain confidential, this will be considered. We do not accept anonymous complaints. All complaints should be addressed to the Monitoring Officer. We have prepared and online complaints form that you can complete if you want to make a complaint.

You must state within your complaint which part of the Code of Conduct you believe they have breached.

What will happen to my complaint?

Your complaint will be considered by the Monitoring Officer in line with the Council's procedures. The Monitoring Officer may supply you with a copy when responding to your complaint, or you can access them by clicking the set arrangements

What can be done about complaint?

In most cases, complaints can be readily resolved by discussion between those affected, or sometimes by way of apology. In more complex cases, we may consider options such as mediation to resolve disputes between people.

We can also suggest training, where there is a clear gap in knowledge/groups, or suggest changes to appointments, issue a written notice, or a public notice regarding any incidents. However, we cannot suspend or remove Councillors - Councillors are elected by their electors and are, in effect, accountable to the ballot box.

Declaration of interests

By law councillors must disclose certain pecuniary interests, for example, relating to employment, ownership of land and shares (over certain values) in companies with a place of business in the area.

Under the Code of Conduct Councillors must also declare interests arising from membership of certain bodies. These are recorded in our Register of Members’ Interests, listed under each district councillor’s information.

Councillors must declare interests at meetings when a related matter is discussed. These will be recorded in the minutes. If a Councillor declares a pecuniary interest in a topic, they cannot take part in the debate or vote and must leave the meeting for that item.

Councillors have to keep their declaration up to date by informing Democratic Services of any changes within 28 days.