Driveways, hard surfacing and dropped kerbs

To get a kerb dropped outside your house you will need permission from Surrey County Council, but they will first need confirmation from us as the Local Planning Authority that planning permission is not required for the works.

To obtain this confirmation you will need to lodge a pre-application enquiry. Details of this service can be found on the following pre-application advice page.

As part of the enquiry please advise:

  • whether you are creating a hardstanding (driveway) in association with the dropped kerb or if one already exists,
  • the area (m2) of the proposal
  • whether the property is a house or flat/apartment,
  • the proposed surface materials,
  • if any drainage is required and;
  • provide drawings as set out on the form. 

If the dropped kerb is on an A, B or C classified road, planning permission is needed.

When is planning permission not needed?

You don’t need planning permission:

  • For hard surfaces within the garden of a property, except in the area between the front of the property and the road.
  • If the area does not exceed 5 square metres. If the area is bigger than this, the surface must let water drain or have a soak-away drain or other area, such as a flower bed, which allows water to drain through. Water cannot run into the road.

If you think you need planning permission for your dropped kerb or hard surface, please: