Contents insurance for tenants

Many council tenants believe renting from Tandridge means we automatically insure their furniture, belongings and decorations against theft and damage. This is not the case.

We strongly advise all tenants to take out household contents insurance. You can do this through the Council's Tenants' Insurance Scheme, or by making your own private arrangements. The scheme charges the same rate wherever you live in the district, not according to your post code.

This insurance scheme has the benefit of low cost premiums exclusive to council tenants. The policy is arranged with a major insurance company, the Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company (RSA) and only available to council tenants.

What will it cost?

Premiums vary according to whether you choose to pay weekly, fortnightly, monthly or annually and are set out in detail in the policy document.

How to apply

Please see below for details of the scheme and an application form. If you complete the application form make sure you answer all the questions and sign the declaration. Return it to RSA as shown on the form.

Claims against the council

Council tenants may make insurance claims against the Council for any damage we cause to the tenants' possessions, or injury to the tenant or members of their family. To make a claim please complete the Public liability claim form.

As an example, if a council tradesman were to hammer a nail into the wall and burst a pipe which led to the floor being flooded and ruining the tenant's carpet, we would be responsible for the cost of replacing the carpet.

There are a variety of other issues for which we may not be at fault. For example, if there is a particularly bad storm which lifts a tile off of a roof and as a result water comes through the roof, through the ceiling and damages a bedroom carpet, we would claim it has not been negligent, as it could not have prevented that from happening. In these circumstances we reject a claim. If you are unsure about whether you could make a claim against us, please use the Contact us form below.

We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You can update your settings at any time.

Cookie policy info

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser and subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies are a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly necessary cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website eg logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website, so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.