Bad weather service updates

We will keep this page updated with information about all council services during bad weather conditions. You can also follow us on Twitter and register for e-mail updates.

Recycling, rubbish and garden waste collections 


Keep up to date

We send out regular updates in our e-newsletter - please sign up at Check for the latest information on collections including collections not made due to blocked access.

Other services

  • Council Offices in Oxted will be open. 
  • Council house emergency repairs, including heating: Normal service if staff can access the property.
  • Parking services:  Ellice Road in Oxted is open, barrier up as number plates cannot be easily read. 
  • Car parks: Open and will be gritted as soon as possible.
  • Street cleaning: Staff will be gritting town centre footpaths, housing sites and clearing litter bins where possible.
  • Surrey County Council services which could be affected include buses, community recycling centres.

Surrey County Council is responsible for roads and pavements, including snow clearance and gritting. Please visit these pages for the latest information:

If you need grit or salt for your own property, it can be bought from major builders' merchants or large garden centres.

Volunteer teams from parish councils and businesses across the district have been provided with salt spreaders, snow shovels and salt by Tandridge District Council and Surrey County Council to grit high streets. If you are interested in joining a local group and becoming a Snow Angel, please contact or call 01883 722000.

Surrey County Council is responsible for schools.

If you lose power in your home or business premises please contact:

For issues with water supply, contact Sutton & East Surrey Water on 01737 772000 (24 hour emergency line).

If you think there is a sewer blockage or if your property has been flooded by a public sewer please contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.

Only dial 999 if it is a real emergency. For more information visit: