Organising an event or street party

Organising an event

Before organising your event or street party, please read this information which will help you arrange it safely.

Before holding a street party or event, you will need to submit an application. You might also find the parks and open spaces section of our website helpful.

If you plan to hold an event in the Tandridge district, whether licensed or non-licensed, like a festival, show or car boot sale, you will need to follow the current government guidance at the time of your event, and consider:

  • The timescales for planning your event, ensuring you follow any sector specific guidance issued by the government and/or the relevant sector.
  • Whether you need an event risk assessment, an event plan and an additional Covid-19 specific risk assessment addressing restrictions in place at the time of your event.
  • The Covid-19 checklist provided by Surrey's Safety Advisory Group.
  • What licences you’ll need to run your event.
  • What you’ll need to do if your event needs to be cancelled at short notice due to Covid-19.
  • Surrey County Council’s guidance for holding events which might require road closures.
  • Our timeline for organising events.

Safety Advisory Group

The Tandridge district's Safety Advisory Group (SAG) advises on safety aspects for public events planned to take place in the district. The group is made up of teams from within the Council, as well as the Emergency Services and meets regularly to discuss large scale public events to be held in our parks and open spaces. The SAG requires a minimum of three months’ notice to consider events for more than 1,000 people.

The SAG also occasionally considers smaller events, depending on the event type and whether it includes things like animal transportation, bouncy castles, catering, generators, managed road closures or heavy traffic and music. 

Events considered by the SAG would include:

  • Agricultural shows.
  • Marathons.
  • Open air music festivals or concerts.
  • Processions.
  • Sporting events.
  • Trade shows.

Organising a street party

If you are organising a street party, carnival, procession, or any other community event on the road, you will need to:

  • Send us a traffic plan (if your street is used by through traffic), showing how much of the road will be closed and an alternative route for traffic. We will liaise with the police and Surrey County Council on your behalf. There is no charge for this, but we need at least 21 days’ notice of any event.
  • Consider any risks posed by holding your event and take out any necessary Public Liability Insurance. Further guidance is available in the Home Office guide.
  • Put up appropriate signs to let road users know any roads are closed (if you receive permission to close a road). We are not able to provide you with road signs.
  • Apply to Surrey County Council for a road closure if you are planning a sporting event in a road.
  • Add your event to our website

The government has published guidance on organising a street party. The guidance sets out helpful tips, advice and support for local residents who may be planning to hold a small private street party to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Celebrations in 2022.

The government's new Platinum Jubilee website includes an interactive map which will display all the events and activities that will be taking place right across the UK.

The map is open for anyone to add their events and everyone is encouraged to upload any events and activities they may be planning to mark the Jubilee.

Useful links:

Temporary event notice

You don’t need a licence for food, alcohol or entertainment, unless you’re planning to charge or open your event to the public, in which case you may need a Temporary Event Notice.

If you are planning an event on land owned or managed by us, contact us for the necessary paperwork and to ensure the site isn't already booked.

More information