Register your business

All premises which have cooling towers and evaporative condensers must register with their local council. To register online, please complete the application form.

Premises and anyone offering skin piercing treatments, including acupuncture, ear piercing, electrolysis, semi-permanent make-up, microblading and tattooing must register.

A range of other businesses proposing to undertake certain activities will also need to apply for a licence, including:

  • Alcohol and regulated entertainment
  • Caravan sites
  • Environmental permits
  • Gambling activities
  • Small society lottery or raffles
  • Scrap metal dealers
  • Sex establishments
  • Street trading
  • Sunday trading
  • Street markets
  • Boot fairs
  • Taxi Licensing.

In addition: 

Food and catering businesses must continue to meet food business registration requirements.

Businesses not required to register

Employers do not need to register factories, offices and shops, which means:

  • Factory employers no longer have to complete the F9 form and register with the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).
  • Office and shop employers no longer have to complete the OSR1 form and register with their local council.
  • Railway operators no longer have to complete the OSR7 form to register certain track-side buildings.