Alcohol licensing, applying and fees

Alcohol licensing

Individuals, businesses and organisations providing licensable activities, such as selling or supplying alcohol, regulated entertainment, or  late night refreshment, must have a licence or other authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003. The Home Office oversees the law and policy governing this area.

For information on the different types of licences available, the fees payable and guidance about how to apply visit

As the application process can be complicated we have produced the following guidance to help you:

The Home Office also issues its own guidance.

Apply for a licence

The quickest and easiest way to apply and pay for the following licences is online at The Home Office automatically sends us your completed application and we will share it with the police and other responsible authorities. Apply online for:

Premises licences

A premises licence is a permanent licence granted for a specific location, that authorises the holder to carry on any or all of the following licensable activities:

Designated premises supervisor

Club premises certificates

Advertising your application

Personal licence

A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. All premises with a premises licence need at least one personal licence holder where one of their activities is the sale or supply of alcohol. One personal licence holder will need to be the designated premise's supervisor (DPS).

You do not need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a temporary events notice.

Apply for a personal licence

Permitted temporary activity

You need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a licensable activity on unlicensed premises in England or Wales.
Licensable activity includes:

  • Selling alcohol.
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club.
  • Providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events.
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am.
  • The process of applying is known as serving a Temporary Event Notice.
  • Temporary event notice

Regulated entertainment

For information about whether you need a licence for certain types of regulated entertainment visit

Alcohol licensing fees

Fees for licences are set nationally and details can be found on They will vary dependent on the national non-domestic rateable value of the premises. You can check your rateable value on the Valuation Office Agency website.

Other information

  • Operators of premises need to register your business at least 28 days before taking over control of licensed premises.
  • Usually if copyrighted music is being played in public, a licence is required from the PRS for Music and the PPL. These are independent to the premises licences issued by us.

We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You can update your settings at any time.

Cookie policy info

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser and subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies are a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly necessary cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website eg logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website, so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.