In April 2019, we acquired Quadrant House in Caterham, recognising the building's strategic significance in the overall aspirations for the regeneration of the town, as well as in providing employment and safeguarding office space.
Quadrant House was a large, prominent, but outdated building with retail and restaurant space on the ground floor and 39,100 square feet of office space above. Its central location next to Waitrose made the site a key acquisition in terms of shaping and regenerating the town and improving its appearance.
The purchase was part of the delivery of the Caterham and North Tandridge Regeneration programme, which aims to make the area more attractive for people to live and work in, as well as boosting the economy and creating more jobs.
A new business hub
In Autumn 2020, a new business hub opened on the first floor of Quadrant House. The hub, known as The Workary, Caterham, is operated by Wimbletech CIC and offers affordable work space on flexible terms. It is a work space ideal for start-ups, entrepreneurs, small businesses and remote workers. Members can make connections and create networks with business across Caterham and North Tandridge and across Wimbletech’s national digital platform as well.
If you are interested in booking space or a tour of The Workary, visit The Workary, Caterham website.
What funding was available?
Following a £4.9 million investment, with grant funding from Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership, Quadrant House has been refurbished and is now more environmentally friendly, with improved insulation, upgraded windows and energy efficient heating and cooling equipment to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
What is the timeline of the building's refurbishment?
In 2021, phase 1 works to refurbish the communal areas, such as the toilets, lobbies, and shared kitchenettes, were carried out.
In September 2021, phase 2 works started and were completed in summer 2022. The works included:
- Refurbishment of vacant office suites on second and third floor of the south building, including a new, centralised heat pump AC system.
- Improvement of the thermal performance of the building including added insulation and new windows.
- Enhancement of the Croydon Road façade including the introduction of a Living Wall (aesthetic, biodiversity and microclimate benefits).
- A roof terrace at third floor level.
- Enhanced safety and accessibility through introduction of ramped access to the north entrance, replacement lifts and better escape staircases.
- Improved appearance through new signage and services integration.
On 6 October 2022, Quadrant House officially reopened.
Would you like to rent space at Quadrant House?
If you are interested in renting space at Quadrant House, please contact our agents directly.