Sex establishments

To run a sex shop (any premises selling sex toys, books or videos) or adult cinema you will need a licence from us. You must have this licence before you start to offer these services. Anyone operating a sex establishment without a licence, who fails to comply with a licence condition or lets anyone under 18 in, is committing an offence and could face a significant fine.

For more information and details of restrictions that will apply visit You can apply online. If you prefer to apply by post please complete and return our Sex establishment application form.

Right of appeal

If you are not granted a licence or do not agree with any condition applied to a licence you can appeal to the Magistrates’ Court. You an appeal a decision made at the Magistrates’ Court at the Crown Court. The Crown Court decision is final.