How to complain about food

To complain about food sold in our area that may be unfit to eat please complete our environmental health complaint form giving as much detail as possible. We can look into your complaint.

To support businesses in achieving consistent standards of compliance with relevant legal requirements, including food safety, a business can ask a council to form a partnership with it, referred to as a Primary Authority Partnership, to provide regulatory advice other authorities have to respect. Further information is available at

This means when food safety matters, such as food complaints, are received the council within whose area the food product was purchased, must check if a Primary Authority Partnership exists between the food business concerned and a council. Where this exists, we will refer food complaints we receive to such Primary Authorities accordingly for input into the investigation.    

If your complaint is about mis-described food, labelling problems, food being sold past their use by date or best before date, watered down or adulterated food and counterfeit alcohol, you should report this to Surrey County Council’s Trading Standards.

Food bought outside the Tandridge district

If the food has been bought outside the Council's area, we can tell you which local authority should deal with your complaint. We may help transfer any food samples to that local authority.

We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You can update your settings at any time.

Cookie policy info

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser and subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies are a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly necessary cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website eg logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website, so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.