What's in a name?
The name of the District is derived from the Saxon Hundred, when the country was divided into 100 square mile administrative areas. Until 1086 Richard de Tonebridge, son of Earl Gilbert, settled and administered the area.
On the north side of the A25, near Tandridge Golf Course, the Moot Stone marks the site of Undersnow, where the Saxon Tythingmen from the surrounding villages of the Hundred of Tandridge met as the first local government court in Godstone Rural District.
Tandridge village bears the name of the District and is the longest parish, extending from the ridge of the North Downs to Blindley Heath.