Coat of arms
The District has its own coat of arms granted in 1974. The grant of armorial bearings to a local authority is a royal privilege.
A red shield with three gold bezants or roundels of gold, is taken from the seal of the Augustianian Priory of St James at Tandridge, which flourished from about 1200 until 1537. Each roundel is charged with a red estoile with eight rays - the estoile is an allusion to the arms of the family of Cobham of Lingfield.
The Crest consists of a mural crown in gold, which is symbolic of municipal government, as well as of military defence. Upon the crown is a green grasshopper, an allusion to the crest of the Gresham family, which owned a number of manors within the District.
The mantling flowing down from the crest on either side of the helm is doubled red and gold.
On either side is a gold griffin, which is taken from the Arms of the Evelyn family, who were connected with Godstone and Felbridge during the 16th and 18th centuries. Each griffin holds a blue winged sword, an allusion to Kenley Aerodrome, established in 1917 and an important fighter station during World War 11.
Concordia - meaning harmony