Are you homeless or worried you might become homeless shortly? We can provide information on homelessness and how to prevent it.
Before you make contact with the team you should look at the Housing Options Wizard. This tool is designed to provide you with full details of the housing options available to you if you answer a series of basic questions about your circumstances. If it doesn't answer the questions that you have about your housing, completing it will mean our officers can give you more effective and thorough advice should you then contact for assistance. This will also save you time as your adviser will be able to assess the information you have provided already and give you more appropriate advice.
If this does not resolve your situation or you are facing homelessness very soon you will need to see one of our Housing Advisers for advice. The type of help we can give you includes:
- Housing Options Wizard
- Advice on your housing rights where you are living now.
- Practical assistance to help you keep your current property.
- Advice on your housing options.
- Advice on finding private rented accommodation.
- Advice on housing costs (e.g. benefits)
The Council cannot generally provide help for people who are not resident in the UK or those subject to immigration control. Asylum seekers whose claim for asylum was made after 2 April 2000 are not eligible for any help with housing from the Council and should apply to UK Visas & Immigration.
What to do you if you are aware of someone that is sleeping rough
StreetLink is a telephone line and website available across England which enables the public to alert Local Authorities about rough sleepers in their area. This service offers the public a means to act when they see someone sleeping rough and is the first step someone can take to ensure rough sleepers are connected to the local services and support available to them. Simply call 0300 500 0914 or go to the StreetLink website.
Independent help and advice
- Oxted - 1st Floor Library Building,14 Gresham Road, Oxted RH8 0BQ.Tel: 01883 715525
- Caterham - Soper Hall, Harestone Valley Road,Caterham, Surrey, CR3 6YN Tel: 01883 344777
- 24 hour Advice Line - Freephone Tel: 0808 8004444
Other useful websites
- The Site - offers advice to young people on housing issues such as renting, buying, homelessness, maintaining a tenancy, their rights as a tenant and even safety and hygiene issues.
- Centrepoint - national charity working to improve the lives of socially excluded homeless young people. It provides a range of accommodation based services, including emergency night shelters and short stay hostels, specialist projects for care leavers, ex-offenders, young single parents, foyers and supported flats and floating support services.
- Womens Aid - national domestic violence information.
- Refuge - national domestic violence information.
- East Surrey Domestic Violence Forum - provides assistance and advice for victims of domestic violence in the East Surrey area.
- National Debtline- a national telephone helpline for people with debt problems in England, Wales and Scotland. The service is free, confidential and independent.
- FamilyLine Surrey - a confidential telephone helpline for any member of a family that lives or works in Surrey.
- Relate - offers advice, relationship counselling, sex therapy, workshops, mediation, consultations and support face-to-face, by phone and through this website.
- Homeless Link - the national membership body for organisations supporting homeless people and working to end homelessness across England and Wales.
- HomelessUK - for advisors and the public and a leading source of information about services that help homeless people. You can find information on over 8,000 services across the UK, including hostels, advice and support services.