Are you homeless or worried you might become homeless shortly? We can provide information on homelessness and how to prevent it.
In most cases we will also be able to offer detailed advice to help prevent homelessness. You will need to see one of our Housing Advisers for an interview. The type of help we can give you includes:
- Advice on your housing rights where you are living now.
- Practical assistance to help you keep your current property.
- Advice on your housing options.
- Advice on finding private rented accommodation.
- Advice on housing costs (e.g. benefits)
The Council cannot generally provide help for people who are not resident in the UK or those subject to immigration control. Asylum seekers whose claim for asylum was made after 2 April 2000 are not eligible for any help with housing from the Council and should apply to the UK Borders Agency (This link will open in a new window).
Independent help and advice
For independent help and advice contact:
- Oxted - 1st Floor Library Building,14 Gresham Road, Oxted RH8 0BQ.Tel: 01883 715525
- Caterham - Soper Hall, Harestone Valley Road,Caterham, Surrey, CR3 6YN Tel: 01883 344777
- 24 hour Advice Line - Freephone Tel: 0808 8004444
Other useful websites
- The Site (This link will open in a new window) - offers advice to young people on housing issues such as renting, buying, homelessness, maintaining a tenancy, their rights as a tenant and even safety and hygiene issues.
- Centrepoint (This link will open in a new window) - national charity working to improve the lives of socially excluded homeless young people. It provides a range of accommodation based services, including emergency night shelters and short stay hostels, specialist projects for care leavers, ex-offenders, young single parents, foyers and supported flats and floating support services.
- Womens Aid (This link will open in a new window) - national domestic violence information.
- Refuge (This link will open in a new window) - national domestic violence information.
- East Surrey Domestic Violence Forum (This link will open in a new window) - provides assistance and advice for victims of domestic violence in the East Surrey area.
- National Debtline (This link will open in a new window)- a national telephone helpline for people with debt problems in England, Wales and Scotland. The service is free, confidential and independent.
- FamilyLine Surrey (This link will open in a new window) - a confidential telephone helpline for any member of a family that lives or works in Surrey.
- Relate (This link will open in a new window) - offers advice, relationship counselling, sex therapy, workshops, mediation, consultations and support face-to-face, by phone and through this website.
- Homeless Link (This link will open in a new window) - the national membership body for organisations supporting homeless people and working to end homelessness across England and Wales.
- HomelessUK (This link will open in a new window) - for advisors and the public and a leading source of information about services that help homeless people. You can find information on over 8,000 services across the UK, including hostels, advice and support services.