Flooding and land drainage
The Environment Agency is responsible for issuing flood warnings throughout England and Wales.
There are four types of flood warning codes, which will be triggered by a particular set of weather, water and/or sea conditions. The codes are:
- Severe Flood warning - Severe flooding. Danger to life.
- Flood warning - Flooding is expected. Immediate action required.
- Flood Alert - Flooding is possible. Be prepared.
- Warning no longer in force - Flood warnings and flood alerts that have been removed in the last 24 hours.
These warnings will be issued through local and national radio, TV and teletext, as well as direct to the public, local councils and the emergency services. In some areas warnings will be given by siren, loudhailer, telephone, flood wardens or people knocking on doors.
The Council will help where it can. We will provide sandbags to residents and businesses where property is at risk of flooding.
If you do live in an area liable to flooding it might be a good idea to keep a stock of unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand in case of emergency. You can get these from your local builders merchants. If you own your property make sure you are insured against flooding.
A copy of the Council's approach to Flood Defence is available by clicking on the link below:
Useful contact numbers
- Floodline 0845 988 1188 service. Teletext page 154. Environment Agency. The phone lines are staffed from 8am to 8pm weekdays and 10am to 4pm weekends and there is a 24-hour recorded information service. In addition fact sheets about flooding are available.
- Tandridge District Council out of hours - 01883 722000.
- Surrey County Council Highways
- The National Flood Forum 01299 403055 or visit www.floodforum.org.uk. This charity provides support and advice to communities and individuals that have been flooded or are at risk of flooding.
A leaflet giving information and advice about how to cope with flooding is also available by calling the above number or clicking on the links below.
Click on the following links for frequently asked questions about: