Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Acupuncture, tattooing, ear-piercing and electrolysis


The following types of skin piercing activities need be registered with the local authority:

  • Acupuncture
  • Tattooing
  • Ear-piercing
  • Semi-permanent skin-colouring
  • Cosmetic piercing
  • Electrolysis

Unfortunately an electronic application cannot currently be made through, although further information is provided.

Both the premises and person must be registered to undertake specific skin piercing activity and comply with model byelaws the council has made.

You will need to firstly obtain planning permission for any premises which you propose to use as a tattoo studio. Once you have planning permission you can apply using the attached form and demonstrate compliance with attached byelaws.

Application form to carry out Acupuncture, Tattooing, Ear Piercing and Electrolysis

 Tandridge DC confi byelaws

Licence holders must also adhere to the following:

  • It is an offence to tattoo any person under the age of 18 years (the Tattooing of Minors Act 1969) regardless of parental consent.
  • A person under the age of 18 years may receive body piercing provided that a written permission from is produced, or the treatment is performed in the presence of, the person's parent or guardian.
  • Nipple and genital piercing is prohibited on minors, regardless of parental consent.
  • The health of the client and the suitability of the treatment should be discussed prior to its administration. It is advisable to keep written records of the name and address of every clients also the date of the acupuncture. Accurate dates will be valuable if there is any question of an infection problem and can often help to protect the practitioner.
  • Records should be retained for a minimum of one year.

Tacit consent

Tacit does not apply to this application as it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within 56 days, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.