The Council licences approximately 10 mobile home and caravan sites in the district. Most sites only have one or two mobile homes, but there are three main residential sites with up to 60 homes on each site.
The sites are subject to licensing conditions to protect residents from the spread of fire and provide specified site facilities.
Greater protection for residents has been introduced by the Mobile Homes Act 2013 which includes new licensing conditions and charges.
More information for mobile home residents can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/park-homes
The occupier of land must not allow his or her land to be used as a caravan site (for human habitation) unless he or she holds a site licence. There are certain exemptions from the need to hold a licence as follows:
Exemptions from the caravan site licensing requirements
- Incidental use within curtilage of a dwelling house.
- Use by person bringing caravan over land for 1 or 2 nights and 28 days in 12 months.
- Use on holdings of five acres/more then 28 days in 12 months and a maximum of three caravans at a time.
- Sites operated and supervised by exempted organisations; eg caravan club rallies.
- Agricultural and forestry workers.
- Building and engineering sites.
- Travelling showmen - if travelling on business purposes.
- Sites occupied by a licensing authority.
- Local authority gypsy sites.
The stationing of a caravan(s) on land (even if it is exempt from requiring a licence) may be classed as a development or change of use requiring Planning Permission. Anyone intending to station a caravan on land should seek advice from the Planning department.
If the proposed caravan is not exempt a licence must be obtained if the caravan is to be occupied for human habitation, or an offence will be committed.
To apply for a site licence please complete the following application form for a caravan site licence. Alternatively, you can make an electronic application through Gov.uk.
The Council will issue a licence unless:
- There is no planning permission for the caravan(s).
- The applicant has had a site licence revoked within the previous three years.
- Planning permission will expire within six months.
The licence is issued subject to site specific licence conditions that must be adhered to.
Tacit consent applies to this application and means you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the council by the end of the target completion period of 56 calendar days.
Specific licence conditions
Conditions are attached to Caravan Site Licences, which are necessary or desirable in the interest of:
- The people living in the caravans.
- Other classes of people.
- The public at large.
In forming these conditions attention must be paid to the Model Standards issued by the Minister and site circumstances.
Generally the licence conditions control caravan spacing and positioning and secure adequate sanitary and drainage facilities. There are also controls over other services, site equipment and maintenance. In addition to these conditions there are restrictions on other structures and vehicles on caravan sites. Surrey Fire and Rescue Service is asked to comment on matters related to means of escape in case of fire.
If the conditions are not adhered to action can be taken against a person failing to comply or works undertaken in default and costs recovered.