Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Licensing and making a new application


View copies of Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates issued by the Council  

Application forms

All the official application forms can be downloaded from the Home Office licensing forms webpage.

As the application procedures are quite complicated, you may find it helpful to consult our Guidance for Applicants. You will also find relevant information in the Council's Statement of Licensing Policy and in Guidance issued by the Secretary of State under section 182 of the Act.

Responsible authorities

Depending on the type of application being made, copies need to be sent to Surrey Police and the Responsible Authorities. In the case of applications made through the portal, the Licensing Authority will forward electronic copies of the documents to the Police and Responsible Authorities.

Alternatively complete an application. Please note that postal and electronic application requirements are different and so you must use either one or the other. The electronic forms will only be accepted if they are submitted through the system; please do not print and send them to us.


Current fees set by the Government.

An annual charge is due on the anniversary of the premises licence or club premises certificate being granted.  Whoever holds the premises licence or certificate is responsible for ensuring the annual charge is received on time by the Licensing Authority. Licence and certificate holders who do not wish to be liable for the annual fee should ensure that they return the licence or certificate to the Licensing Authority before the annual charge falls due.

If the annual fee is not paid on time, the Licensing Authority will suspend the premises licence or club premises certificate and inform the Police.

Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates

Applications for Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates must be made to the Licensing Authority with copies to Surrey Police and the Responsible Authorities. The fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises and, once granted, there is an annual fee also based on this rateable value. Licences and Certificates are normally granted in perpetuity and only terminate when something happens, e.g. bankruptcy or when the premises closes and the licence is handed back.

Notice of an application must be posted outside the premises and be advertised in a newspaper circulating in the area. Summary details of applications are also posted on the Council's website. Representations may be submitted to the Licensing Authority based on one or more of the licensing objectives, supported by evidence. Any person may also seek a review of the licence or certificate if they have evidence that the licensing objectives are being breached.

Applications to vary licences or certificates have to go through the same procedure as an application for a new licence or certificate. However, there is a simplified procedure for minor variations that are unlikely to impact on the licensing objectives. This procedure is quicker and has a reduced fee, but if they are rejected they then have to follow the full variation procedure.

Personal Licences

Under the Licensing Act 2003, persons authorising the sale or supply of alcohol from a business holding a Premises Licence will also need to hold a Personal Licence. If you are named as a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) on a Premises Licence, you must have obtained a Personal Licence before any alcohol can be sold.

To obtain a Personal Licence, you will need to apply to the local authority for the area in which you are resident. We are only able to accept applications from persons who live within the Tandridge area. If you are not normally resident within England or Wales, you may apply to any licensing authority, including Tandridge.

You must have the legal right to work in the UK in order to hold a Personal Licence, proof of which will be required.

Personal Licences are issued directly to the person applying for them, and are not transferrable. Once you have obtained one, you are free to work at any premises which is subject to a Premises Licence, authorising the sale / supply of alcohol, anywhere in England or Wales. You may only hold one Personal Licence at any time, which will be valid for the whole of your lifetime, but may be revoked if you are convicted of a relevant criminal offence, have to pay an immigration penalty, or are found to have given incorrect or misleading information in your application. Licences will also lapse automatically if your right to work in the UK expires or is revoked.

Applying for a Personal Licence

To apply for a Personal Licence, you will need to complete an application form. The application should be accompanied by:

  • The application fee
  • Two recent passport-style photographs (see below for requirements)
  • The certificate from an accredited personal licence qualification
  • A completed Disclosure of Convictions and Civil Immigration Penalties & Declaration form
  • A criminal record check, issued within the last month, such as a Basic Disclosure (apply online to Disclosure Scotland – , or phone 03000 200 040)
  • Copies of documents which prove your legal right to work in the UK (see notes within the application form)

We may consult the following bodies about your application:

  • Surrey police, if you have any unspent convictions for relevant or foreign offences
  • The Home Office, if you have been required to pay a civil immigration penalty or if your right to work in the UK is not clear

Either body may object to your application and, if they do, your application will be decided at a hearing by our Licensing Sub-Committee. A list of relevant offences is available from our website.

Send the completed form, with payment for the application fee of £37, to:


Tandridge District Council

Station Road East



Fees can be paid by cheque/postal order (payable to ‘Tandridge District Council’) or credit/debit card only. Please do not send cash.

One of the prerequisites to obtaining a Personal Licence is the completion of a training course which has been accredited by the Home Office. These usually consist of a one-day course, with a multiple choice exam at the end.

A list of all accredited qualifications can be found at

For more information, and details of local training centres, please contact the providers directly.

Applicants must supply two identical photographs of themselves with their application. We would generally expect these photographs to be of a similar standard to that required for applications for passports, and photos must, as a minimum, meet the following requirements:

  • They must be taken against a light background so that the applicant’s features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
  • They must measure 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres
  • The applicant’s face must be fully uncovered in the photo, without sunglasses or any head covering (unless a head covering is worn regularly in accordance with religious beliefs)
  • They must be printed on photographic paper
  • One of the photos must be endorsed by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing with the community or an individual with a professional qualification, with a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant, such as:

‘I certify that this is a true likeness of [applicant’s name]’

They must then sign and date the statement. It is not enough just to sign and date the photograph.

Examples of persons who may endorse photographs include:

•accountant    •engineer (professional)   •officer of armed forces   •airline pilot   •financial services agent          

•police officer   •bank/building society official   •fire service official   •Post Office official   •barrister          

•funeral director   •religious minister or leader   •civil servant   •insurance / assurance agent   •social worker

•clerk of a company   •Justice of the Peace   •solicitor   •commissioner of oaths   •legal secretary / paralegal         

•surveyor   •councillor   •local government officer   •teacher or lecturer   •dentist   •Member of Parliament             

•trade union officer   •director of company / charity   •Merchant Navy officer   •valuer or auctioneer

•doctor or other healthcare professional, such as nurse, dentist, optician, chiropodist or pharmacist          

•person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)   •Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Right to work in the UK

From the 6th April 2017, applicants for personal licences must prove that they have the legal right to work in the UK, by providing copies of official documents showing that they are either a British or UK citizen, a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, have been granted indefinite leave to remain and work in the UK, or have another immigration permission allowing them to lawfully work in a field relevant to the sale of alcohol.

Official guidance notes on what documents are acceptable and which pages must be photocopied are included after the application form. Please do not send original documents through the post, but rather send good quality photocopies of all relevant pages.

We may request further documentation or carry out further checks with the Home Office if an applicant’s immigration status is unclear. Personal licences cannot legally be granted to any person who does not have the right to work in the UK.

Qualifying clubs

Most non-profit making clubs can apply for a Club Premises Certificate. The supply of alcohol in such clubs does not need to be made by someone with a Personal Licence and a Premises Licence is not required. Qualifying clubs may include Royal British Legion, working men's clubs, sports clubs, etc.

Temporary Events Notices

A person (a premises user) can carry on licensing activities without having to obtain a licence or club premises certificate by providing the licensing authority with a temporary event notice (a TEN). The TEN must contain certain information including, but not limited to, the proposed licensable activities, details of the premises and duration of the proposed event. Further information on TENs.

Regulated Entertainment

The requirements on regulated entertainment have been partially deregulated.

Tacit Consent

Tacit consent applies to applications for premises licences, club premises certificates and temporary event notices provided they have been submitted electronically via the site or where the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier and where all the relevant documentation has been received by the Licensing Authority.

Once the period for making representations on an application has expired, the Licensing Authority will advise the applicant whether the licence has been granted or will go to a hearing.

Related information

Operators of premises need to register as a food business at least 28 days before taking over control of a licensed premises.

In most instances of copyrighted recorded music being played in public, a licence is required from both the PRS for Music and the PPL. The PPL collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of record companies and performers, while PRS for Music collects and distributes for the use of musical compositions and lyrics on behalf of songwriters, composers and publishers. These are entirely separate from the premises licences issued by the Council and any questions about them should be directed to the organisations concerned.