Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Food complaints

We investigate complaints about food sold in the area to protect public health and ensure food and food packaging meets the relevant legal standards. When the food is bought outside the Council's area, the complainant will be told which local council should deal with their complaint. In accordance with national guidance standards, we may help transfer any food samples to that council.

Making a food complaint

If you want to make a complaint please use the environmental health complaint form.

When you make a complaint we need to know:

  • Your name, address, telephone contact numbers (mobile, home and work), fax and e-mail contact details.
  • The identity and contact address of the person who discovered the complaint issue, if it was not you.
  • As much as possible about the complaint, where you bought it, when, the condition of the packaging etc.
  • The history to the point of discovery, did you have it delivered, did you buy it and take it home, where was the product stored?
  • What you have done with it and any treatment it has undergone while in your possession.
  • The name and address of any witnesses who were present when you discovered the problem.
  • Any ill effects or any injuries that were suffered.
  • Whether you have been to hospital or contacted your doctor about any ill effects.
  • Any contact you have had with the vendor or manufacturer.
  • Any evidence you have including, packaging, the complaint item, residue food, receipts etc

If formal action is necessary you will be asked to make a statement and may be asked to attend court and give evidence.

The Council will not seek to obtain or otherwise negotiate any compensation or redress on the behalf of the complainant(s).

What Tandridge District Council is responsible for

We will investigate complaints about:

  • Contamination by micro-organisms or their toxins.
  • Contamination by mould or foreign matter / objects.
  • Unfit food.

What Surrey County Council is responsible for

Trading Standards will investigate complaints about:

  • Chemical contamination or improper use of substances in food so as to pose a risk of injury to health informing the Local Authority(s) potentially affected.
  • Compositional offences, adulteration and misleading claims.
  • Poor or improper labelling.
  • Food sold after its best before or use by date.
  • Poor quality food.

Separate procedures are operated for allegations of food poisoning or food hygiene.