Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Childminders who provide food

From 1 January 2014 when you register with Ofsted as a childminder you will automatically be registered with us as a food business, if you provide food as part of your service. Surrey County Council’s website become a registered childminder explains more about how to become a registered childminder and the training you will need to do. The training covers, amongst other things, food hygiene and safety.

If you started your childminding business before 1 January 2014 and offer food, but have not yet registered this with us or you have moved to a new address please complete our childminder registration form to do so.

However if you only:

  • Provide tap water, crockery and cutlery for the children to eat their own packed lunches with or provide chilled storage for those packed lunches
  • Occasionally help children cut up their own food
  • Work in the child’s own home serving food belonging to the child’s parent/guardian. 

Or cease providing food.

You do not need to be registered and should call us on 01883 732841 or complete the childminder registration form not providing food option childminder registration form to let us know.

Help from our food safety officers

As a registered childminder you will be responsible (and required by Ofsted requirements and the Children’s Act 2006) for making sure the food you provide is safe to eat and doesn’t cause illness. Our food safety officer can advise you on what you need to do to ensure this.

A food safety officer will contact you, once you have registered, to arrange a time to visit to discuss general food hygiene practices and safe preparation of food. There are steps you can take before that meeting takes place to understand more about good food hygiene for those providing food and drinks to those in their care including attending training and reading up on information freely available [see Training and More Information sections below].

Food hygiene training

Although there is no requirement for childminders to have food hygiene qualifications, it is important that you know how to prepare and supply food that is safe to eat. Food hygiene training courses are available from various training providers including local colleges and adult education evening classes.  Tandridge offers the following food hygiene training course which you can book online:

  • Level 2 food hygiene 1 day course providing basic skills for food handlers - book now Level 2 Food Hygiene

The course includes an exam at the end.

More information