Chief Executive's department
The Chief Executive, Louise Round, is head of the Council's paid service. She acts as principal adviser to elected members and works closely with the Chairman of the Council, the Leader of the Council and other councillors.
Within the Chief Executive's department there are a number of teams which deal with a range of services:
- Customer Services acts as the first point of contact for residents handling a wide range of enquiries.
- Support functions such as corporate planning, communications, community safety, committees and complaints handling. Corporate planning includes setting the Council's key priorities on an annual basis and monitoring progress against them.
- Benefits calculates claims for Housing and Council Tax benefits.
- Exchequer Services deals with the payment of Council officers and arranges payment for all goods and services bought by the Council.
- Financial Services is responsible for monitoring all financial transactions, production of Final Accounts and a Budget Book, calculation of Council Tax, and statistics on performance.
- Revenues is responsible for the collection of Council Tax and National Non-Domestic Rates.
- Electoral registration and elections.
- Information Technology (IT) deals with the implementation and further development of the Council's IT strategy and manages the data and communications infrastructure, including the telephone system.
- Legal covers planning enforcement and appeals, sales of land and council houses, rent arrears possession cases, contracts and licences and provides legal advice on anything that affects the Council.
- Land Charges - the section deals with searches submitted in connection with the purchase of houses and other property in the District.
- Personnel and Training is responsible for recruitment and selection for the Council, as well as staff training. Most job vacancies are available on the SurreyJobs website, which also has details of other local government jobs across the country.