Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Youth Homelessness

If you are aged 16 or 17 and worried that you might become homeless, the housing options available to you are different from those aged 18 years and over.

Anyone aged 16 years or over is able join the Housing Register unless you are:

  • An ineligible persons from abroad (eg those subject to immigration control or not habitually resident in the Common Travel Area).
  • A member of a household guilty of unacceptable behaviour serious enough to make them unsuitable to be a tenant of the Council.

Please go to the Applying for Housing section on our website to find out more.

However, if you are considered eligible to join the Housing Register, you will not legally be able to hold a tenancy agreement until the age of 18

Any young person aged 16/17 who requires advice and support about homelessness issues is referred to The Youth Support Service provided by Surrey County Council. The Youth Support Service works across Surrey with multiple agencies with the aim to support the needs of vulnerable young people.

The service can develop a plan of action to prevent a young person from becoming homeless through family mediation, specialist family support and provide assistance with education, training and employment.

For further information or enquiries regarding go to the Youth Support Service page on the Surrey County Council website, or phone 01372 363655.