Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

I have been told to leave home by my family or friends

A more detailed version of the advice contained on this webpage is available for download.

I am 16 years old or under

If you are aged 15 or under, the Council will  refer you to Children's Services, which ensures you receive the most suitable help and support. You can also contact them directly on 0300 123 1620.

I am 17 years old

If you are aged 16 or 17, you should contact the Surrey Youth Support Service on 01372 363655 who will be able to provide you with the right support and assistance. Where needed, this may also include accommodation. 

I am 18 years old or over

If you have been residing with family/ friends and do not have any rights to the house or tenancy and have now been asked to leave, you should be given reasonable notice allowing you some time to find alternative accommodation. It is important that you try to negotiate with them in order to either remain in that property or gain some more time to secure a new place to live.

Family or friend evictions often occur after arguments or problems within the household where tensions can become high which result in these decisions. It is worthwhile going to your family or friends when the situation has calmed down to ask them to reconsider their decision and offer your cooperation in working out a way to resolve any issues that have occurred to keep your accommodation. Having your own accommodation is very expensive. It will require savings and an income to obtain and keep the accommodation. Therefore it is vital you consider negotiating with your family/friends to keep your current accommodation until you have sufficient funds to get your own home.

The Council can provide you with advice and assistance depending on your situation.


Privately renting

If applicable, the Council can refer you to nextstep, our single persons rent deposit scheme, to help with a deposit bond to secure yourself private rented accommodation.   

Temporary Accommodation 

The Council can provide you with temporary accommodation according to your needs. This can provide you with enough time to secure yourself new permanent accommodation and to apply for any support or benefits that you may be entitled to.  

Supported housing  

Supported housing is a type of accommodation which also offers help to tenants. Support workers focus on the tenants’ individual needs and requirements. Placements usually last up to 2 years. The Council can help you access supported housing.


Further advice

Download our booklet Finding accommodation in the Tandridge area. It contains detailed information on how to access accommodation in this area as well as advice and tips on tenancies, financial help, affordable home furnishings, repairs, emergency accommodation and a directory of useful agencies and services.

East Surrey Outreach Service (eSOS)

01372 378628


0300 500 0914

Children’s Services

0300 123 1620

Adult social care

0300 200 1005

Family Support Team

 01737 276089

YMCA East Surrey

01737 779979

Youth Support Service

01327 363655