Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

I am struggling to pay my rent

A more detailed version of the advice contained on this webpage is available for download.

If you are struggling to pay your rent, do not ignore it as that will only make your situation worse. Not paying your rent will lead to rent arrears which could eventually put you at risk of losing your home. There are many options available to you which will help you manage your rent.

It is vital you contact your landlord or housing provider to make them aware that you are currently facing financial difficulties and you are trying your best to resolve this. By keeping your landlord / housing provider informed, they might be more sympathetic towards your case and allow you time to sort out your finances rather than penalising you or considering eviction. Make sure you pay what you can.


You may be entitled to some benefits to increase your income. Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Jobcentre Plus. They will be able to advise you about the benefits you may be able to claim (see contact details below). You can apply for Housing Benefit through the Council’s website.


Manage your income – create a personal budget 

Learn to maximise your own income by changing the way you spend. You can do this by creating a personal budget. This involves listing all your income and all your spending to see your complete financial activity. The more honest you are with your budgeting sheet, the more useful it will be. 


Applying for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) 

DHP’s are paid in addition to housing benefit and council tax support for those who need more help to pay their housing costs. For more information or to get a claim form sent to you call the Benefits team on 01883 732900.

We can also arrange for you to see our Money Advice Officer for help with all aspects of budgeting, boosting your income, cutting your costs and getting on top of debt. The Money Advice Service also provides step by step guides on how to set up a budget, make the most of your money, pay off debts and start saving. If you think that you would benefit from this service, please contact us by telephone on 01883 732825 or email to explain your situation.


Further advice

Citizens Advice Bureau

03444 111 444

National Debtline

0808 808 4000

The Money Advice Service

0800 500 5000


0808 800 4444