Choice Based Lettings
Choice based lettings (CBL) makes it easier for people to apply for housing with councils and housing associations. This has replaced the former housing waiting list system.
CBL helps applicants take a greater role in choosing their home. Like in the private rented sector, available social rented (council and housing association) homes are advertised and applicants can express their interest in advertised homes in the areas where they would like to live.
The Council no longer offers properties to applicants just because they are on its housing lists. You will only be offered the tenancy of a particular property if you have registered a 'bid' for it.
- Every week, from 00:00hrs (midnight) Friday morning, we will advertise all vacant council and housing association homes in Tandridge.
- Eligible applicants on the Tandridge Housing Register will be able to 'bid' for these homes.
- Interested applicants will have until 23:59hrs (one minute to midnight) on Wednesday night of the following week to apply for advertised homes.
- Applications for these properties can be made through an interactive website or through an automated telephone service. Full instructions on how to access the system are provided in Using Tandridge Home Choice.
- Once the deadline has passed, we will have a list of interested applicants for each home advertised.
- The highest placed eligible applicant will be nominated to the landlord (the Council or housing association)
- The landlord will check the applicant's details and if they are satisfied, a preliminary offer will be made.
- Each week we will provide some feedback about the properties that have been recently let such as how many people bid, what band the successful applicant was in and how long they had been waiting. This information in shown on the Recent Lets page of the HomeChoice website.
How to bid:
If you are on the housing register, you can bid:
- By calling 0845 270 1908 (this is charged at a local rate)
- On the website www.tandridge-homechoice.org.uk
Information about properties can be heard by calling our property information line on 01883 722000 and selecting option 4.
Find out how to join the Housing Needs Register
East Surrey Home Choice
Epsom & Ewell, Mole Valley, Reigate & Banstead and Tandridge councils have joined together to create East Surrey Home Choice.
The scheme helps housing applicants apply for social rented homes in any of the four East Surrey areas. For example an applicant on the Tandridge Housing Register will be able to apply for East Surrey Home Choice advertised homes in any of the four areas. However, only a very limited number of properties are made available through East Surrey Home Choice. These are likely to be mainly one bedroom or studio flats and some adapted properties.