Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Requesting a repair

How to report repairs

Please report repairs promptly. Any delay might make the problem worse.

  • To report a gas central heating or hot water repair, call our gas contractor, Paynes Heating and Plumbing Ltd, on 01825 891723 between 8.30am and 6.30pm Monday to Friday.
  • For all other repairs, including emergency repairs and repairs information call 01883 722000 and select option 4.
  • You can report the problem in person to your Sheltered Scheme Coordinator (if you live in sheltered housing),  or by visiting Customer Services at the Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0BT.
  • Fill in and submit an online repair request.

To help us arrange the repair quickly, when you submit a form, e-mail or write to us, please remember to include your daytime contact phone number(s) and precise information about what needs repairing, including the location.

Emergencies outside office hours

If you need an emergency repair outside office hours, please call 01883 722000.  This service must only be used in a real emergency, likely to be life threatening or cause serious injury to persons or significant damage to property.

Some examples of emergency repairs include:

  • Burst pipes.
  • Severe leaks in roofs.
  • Blocked drains and toilets (where there is only one toilet in your home).
  • Complete loss of power or lighting.
  • Other problems that seriously threaten your home or your health.

Sometimes we will carry out a temporary repair, just to make your home safe. If that is the case, we will carry out a permanent repair later. 

Weather conditions can affect us safely carrying out even temporary repairs.  For example, it may be unsafe to access a roof to carry out repairs in windy conditions.  We may also have to wait for daylight before it is safe to carry out such repairs.  Where repairs cannot be completed out of hours, we will arrange to return when it is safe and convenient to do so.

If you use the emergency service for work that is not an emergency, you will be recharged for the full costs of the call out. These costs are likely to be high, as they will include a charge for working outside normal hours.

Burst pipe

Gas leaks

To report a gas leak contact National Grid on 0800 111 999.

If you suspect a gas escape:

  • Call National Grid immediately.
  • Don't smoke or use naked flames.
  • Don't turn electric switches on or off.
  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter.
  • Open all doors and windows.

Power cuts

To report a loss of electrical power contact UK Power Networks on 0800 316 3105 or text Power followed by Postcode to 80876. Example: PowerRH80BT

Gas and electric meters

Some properties have gas or electricity meters operated by a key or card. These are provided by the company you buy gas or electricity from. You can get telephone numbers from the telephone book, directory enquiries or the internet.

The company will send you a key or card for your meter. These can be recharged at local shops displaying the Pay Point logo. If you have this type of meter, please make sure you have enough credit units for your gas and electricity requirements and you know where you can buy additional units outside the Pay Point shop opening hours.

If you have problems with your metered supplies, including key and card meters you should contact the following:

  • EDF: 0800 096 5060 (Monday to Friday 8 am - 2 pm) or 0800 096 7359 (24 hour line)
  • British Gas: 0800 048 0303
  • Scottish Power: 0800 027 0072
  • E.ON: 0345 303 3040 Option 2 Gas. Option 3 Electricity.
  • Npower: 0800 073 3000 or 0330 100 3000 (Mobiles)

For further information please see our leaflet Tenant's guide to repairs, maintenance and improvements.