Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Anti social behaviour and neighbour nuisance

Tandridge District Council takes reports of Anti-Social Behaviour seriously. Nuisance or annoyance can take many forms, but all forms can cause distress to neighbours.

Examples might include:

  • Excessive foul language, violent, threatening or abusive behaviour.
  • Noisy or inconsiderate visitors.
  • Wedging open security or fire doors.
  • Inconsiderate car parking in communal areas not designated for car parking.
  • Excessive domestic noise, such as DIY or the playing of loud instruments, hi-fi equipment, radios or television at volumes likely to cause disturbance to neighbours.
  • Cats, dogs or other animals not kept under proper control (including excessive barking) or allowed to foul the premises or communal areas.
  • Constant repairing of motor vehicles in communal areas.
  • Harassment.
  • Obstructing communal areas by leaving prams, bicycles or other objects/rubbish there.

All tenants should realise if they, their family or visitors cause any sort of nuisance, annoyance or offence to their neighbours, they may be breaking the Tenancy Agreement and could be risking eviction. As a landlord we have a role in tackling Anti-Social Behaviour, we will not become involved disagreements between individual neighbours that are not considered to be Anti-Social and are clashes of lifestyle.

Noisy neighbours

What if I am experiencing problems with a neighbour?

Often disagreements or disputes between neighbours can be resolved early by encouraging parties to find a solution to the problem or because one party is unaware of the impact their behaviour is having. Before contacting your landlord we suggest you consider the following:-

  • Is it a nuisance? Or is it simply a lifestyle clash?
  • Have you tried discussing the problem with your neighbour?

The best chance of resolving a dispute and ensuring a better relationship between the people involved is if the two sides can talk to each other and come up with a solution.

Generally, all neighbour disputes or 1-2-1 noise complaints, at the earliest contact, will be referred to East Surrey Community Mediation. Most other solutions are likely to damage the relationship between the neighbours further - even if the particular dispute is settled, life is likely to remain unpleasant.

If complainants are unwilling to accept mediation, the first recognised stage in our ASB procedure, we typically will be unable to progress a complaint further.

Where there are threats of violence it is not appropriate to use mediation.

What happens if this doesn't work or I'm still experiencing problems?

If a dispute remains unresolved, and there is evidence of Anti-Social Behaviour then your management officer may become involved.

To investigate and tackle any ASB your management officer will need to build evidence. Your reports and log sheets will be key to understanding the type of nuisance, impact it is having and any pattern. This will enable us to consider how we deal with the nuisance.