Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Part P electrical work

From 1 January 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations has been notifiable to building control under Part P of the building regulations.

electricianPart P applies mainly to dwelling houses and flats including gardens and outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.

Small jobs such as adding a socket outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to Building Control, although there will be some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. (Our leaflet on compliance with Part P should help you decide if the work you intend to carry out comes under Part P legislation but check with us if you are still unsure.)

All work which involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling, or electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms or in 'special locations' will need to be either notified to Building Control on a building notice application form, or carried out by a competent person who is registered with a Part P self certification scheme. 

Use an electrician who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme

And you won’t need to make an application to us as they will notify us on your behalf through their Competent Persons Scheme. We strongly encourage use of electricians/installers who are part of a Competent Person Scheme and to check if they are Part P certified you can use the search facility provided at the following external link

If you choose not to use a Part P registered electrician

You will need to submit a building notice application form to us at least 48 hours before the work is started and we will arrange for our consultant to inspect the electrical work and issue a completion certificate on satisfactory completion.  There will be a fee payable.

Information and general guidance about Part P legislation can be found on the following websites.