Thank you for your support
On behalf of Tandridge District Council we want to thank our staff, residents, businesses, parish councils, Tandridge Voluntary Action and many community groups, as well as our partners across Surrey, for all their support and community teamwork over the last two months.
Although it is a very difficult time, there are a lot of positives to be found in the current situation. We have so many incredible people across our district who have offered their time, skills and resources, to help those most in need. It is a very humbling experience.
We have seen:
- An army of volunteers delivering food, collecting prescriptions and calling our most vulnerable or isolated residents for a chat.
- Donations of money, 4G tablets or personal protective equipment to local hospitals and care homes.
- Businesses delivering groceries and hot meals to our residents.
- Charities and good causes supporting residents.
- NHS staff and care givers working around the clock to care for those needing medical attention.
- Residents going the extra mile, including our Handmade Heroes making PPE for those who need it, those looking out for the vulnerable or isolated in their communities and our more artistic residents who have been decorating their windows with rainbows and messages of thanks, which give us all a lift each day.
- Superhero parents and carers, conquering the challenge of working from home, while at the same time learning to be a home school teacher!
We also must mention our own staff who have risen to the challenge and changed their roles to focus on supporting the most vulnerable, or those directly affected by the situation, whether this is dealing with business grants, applying any changes to help with council tax payments, or calling people to find out what support they might need and to check they are ok.
We have been working hard to continue to deliver essential services and support our local communities as best as we can. Biffa, our waste contractor, has carried on collecting recycling and waste, while many other councils have had to reduce or suspend services. Our collection crew has loved the many thank you messages from residents, so please do keep creating them.
Many residents and businesses are experiencing financial hardship at the moment and we urge anyone who would benefit to apply for any of the grants or employee schemes the government has made and continues to make available.
We have the latest information on our website at www.tandridge.gov.uk/coronavirus and we encourage you to sign up to our e-newsletters at www.tandridge.gov.uk/signup to get the latest information straight to your inbox.
This is an uncertain and challenging time for many people, but if we all continue to follow the government guidance around social distancing we will save lives and protect the NHS.
We will continue to do everything we can to support our community. Based on the amazing community spirit we have already seen, we are confident by pulling together and supporting our most vulnerable, we will get through this and there will be some positive outcomes from this situation.
We thank you all.
Councillor Tony Elias, Leader of the Council and Conservative Group
Councillor Catherine Sayer, Leader of the Independents and OLRG Alliance
Councillor Chris Botten, Leader of the Liberal Democrats
Councillor Martin Allen, Leader of the Independent Group