Flooding possible in East Surrey
The Environment Agency has announced that groundwater flooding is possible in East Surrey following the recent higher than average rainfall.
If you think you are at risk of flooding please start to prepare. Check flood warnings by calling Floodline on 0345 988 1188, which provides recorded flood information and provides advice from an operator 24 hours a day.
If you’re affected by flooding, we’ll help where we can, but we need to prioritise help for our council housing and properties with vulnerable residents.
We will try to provide sandbags for properties where water is about to enter the property. Where groundwater is coming up through the floor, sandbags won’t help solve the issue.
If your property is flooded, or at risk of becoming flooded, we recommend:
- Turning off your gas, electricity and water supplies at the mains.
- Unplugging all electrical items and storing them, along with all furniture and valuables, upstairs or as high up as possible.
- Staying with a nearby friend or family member, if you can.
- Keeping any medicine you might need with you.
- Making sure you have your insurance details.
- Buying sandbags from your local builders’ merchants.
Recycling and rubbish collections may be affected in flooded areas. Sign up for our recycling and rubbish e-newsletter at www.tandridge.gov.uk/signup which will give the latest information about collections.
Surrey County Council also has flooding advice on its website and you can sign up for flood warnings on the gov.uk website.