Carers discount

When we calculate council tax we do not include people who live with and care for a person with severe disability and who qualify as a carer under our council tax rules. This includes carers looking after a member of the family or friend in their own home if:

  • The person being cared for is not their husband, wife or civil partner (or partner, if not married) or a child under 18.
  • The person being cared for receives high rate attendance allowance, high rate care component of the disability living allowance, or the higher rate of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), an increase to severe disability pension or high rate attendance allowance top up to some service pensions. This usually means the person being cared for needs help both day and night.
  • They are living in the same property as the person being cared for.
  • They look after the person being cared for, for more than 35 hours each week.

Carers on a low wage who received their job through a charity if:

  • They live in the same place as the person being cared for.
  • And are paid less than £44 a week by a charity or government department.
  • They care for someone for at least 24 hours each week.

Carers can receive the discount if the person being cared for pays the wage and a charity made the care arrangement. The discount can be given even if the carer has another income in addition to the carer wage or they receive free board from the person being cared for.

Apply for a discount

If you think we should not include you when we look at the number of adults living at a property and by not including you this leaves one person liable for council tax, the person who pays the council tax should apply for a discount using the Council tax discount application form and submit evidence (see below).


We will need to see the following evidence from you to support the discount application.

If you care for someone in your own home:

  • A letter confirming you care for someone for more than 35 hours each week, with a copy of a letter from the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) confirming receipt of the appropriate allowance.
  • A copy of the letter from the DWP or War Pensions office showing what benefits they are entitled to.

If you are a carer who got your job through a charity:

  • A letter showing you are employed by a charity, or government department or a letter from a charity introducing you to the person you care for.
  • A copy of your contract of employment and copies of your last six weeks pay slips.

We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You can update your settings at any time.

Cookie policy info

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser and subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies are a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly necessary cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website eg logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website, so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we do not use these types of cookies on our site.