We collect your blue lidded mixed recycling wheeled bin (please make sure the lid can close), or clear recycling sacks, from the edge of your property nearest the road on alternate weeks. All containers must be available by 6am on your collection day. Please do not put black sacks in your recycling bin as it will not be collected.
Recycling sacks are only supplied where wheeled bins cannot be used because of steep steps or difficult access, and to residents who are unable to physically move a wheeled bin.
What you can recycle
Paper & cardboard
- Cardboard – any size (as long as bin lid can close).
- Cereal boxes.
- Computer paper/print outs.
- Envelopes including window type.
- Egg boxes.
- Greeting cards.
- Junk mail.
- Newspapers/ magazines.
- Office paper white & coloured.
- Other paper including clean paper bags.
- Paper cups.
- Shredded paper (please contain in paper bags or cereal boxes when possible).
- Telephone directories including Yellow Pages and other catalogues.
- Wrapping paper.
- Plastic caps and lids.
- Plastic coloured and clear bottles eg detergent, fabric conditioners, bleach, household cleaning fluids, hair care, bath, shower and cooking oil bottles.
- Plastic coloured and clear drinks bottles.
- Plastic coloured and clear food trays.
- Plastic containers eg yoghurt pots, ice cream tubs, margarine containers.
- Plastic carrier and other bags.
- Plastic packaging, wrapping/film (but not cling film or bubble wrap).
- Toothpaste tubes.
- Wax-lined, poly-lined and foil-lined cartons (eg milk cartons, Tetra Pak).
- Yoghurt containers, straws and other containers.
- Aerosol cans (fully discharged).
- Drink and food cans.
- Foil, including metal food trays (with any remaining food removed before being put in the recycling bin).
- Metal lids eg screw tops, beer bottle tops, jam jar lids, can lids.
- Bottles and jars (please remove lids. Metal lids can go in the recycling bin and corks should go in the general waste bin).
The recycling will be collected on alternate weeks.
What you can't recycle in your blue lidded bin
- Ash from heating house/water.
- Batteries - you can recycle these in plastic carrier bags from home.
- CDs and cases.
- Cling film and other stretchy plastic wrapping.
- Clothes - you can recycle these in plastic carrier bags from home.
- Clothes hangers.
- Crisp packets.
- Flower pots.
- Food containers that food cannot be removed from.
- Food waste - you can recycle this every week in your food caddy.
- Garden waste.
- Hard plastic such as toys, milk and beer crates.
- Light bulbs.
- Medicine blister packs.
- Nappies, incontinence pads and hygiene products.
- Pet litter and bedding.
- Plastic strapping.
- Polystyrene & styrofoam.
- Pyrex, kitchenware and broken glass.
- Rubber hose pipe.
- Small electrical items - you can recycle these in plastic carrier bags from home.
- Textiles and shoes - you can recycle these in plastic carrier bags from home.
- Wet/used kitchen paper or tissues.
- Window glass, drinking glasses and mirrors.
Some of these can be recycled locally at the community recycling centres.
Frequently asked questions
- Collection dates
- I cannot move the wheeled bin?
- What happens to recycling?
- What time of day do I have to put my waste or recycling out?
- Why does recycling matter?
- More frequently asked questions