Help with housing costs
If you are renting
If you are renting your current home you may be able to get help with your housing costs through housing benefit, or local housing allowance. The links below give you more information about how to get the help you need:
- Our Council Tax & Benefits department can give information on the government's benefit changes.
- What is housing benefit? General information about housing benefits and what it covers.
- If you live in a council or housing association property, and have more bedrooms than you are considered to need, you may be affected by the removal of the spare room subsidy.
- Use the benefits calculator to see if you are entitled to housing benefit and how much you are likely to receive.
- If you live in, or are moving into private rented accommodation find out more about Local Housing Allowance.
- The Local Housing Allowance calculator will tell you the level of benefit payable in your area, according to your circumstances.
- Benefit application form - if you already have all the information you need, simply fill out a housing benefits application form.
Or go to Frequently asked questions for any other questions about benefits.
If you are struggling to pay your mortgage, it's vital that you act now to stop your situation becoming worse. The leaflet 'Are you worried about your mortgage' from the National Homelessness Advice Service (NHAS) will help you get started
When managing money it is important to make a budget plan for you or your family. This looks at how much money you have got coming in and what you have got going out each week or month.
We can arrange for you to see our Money Advice Officer for help with all aspects of budgeting, boosting your income, cutting your costs and getting on top of debt.
The Money Advice Service also provides step by step guides on how to set up a budget, make the most of your money, pay off debts and start saving.
If you think that you would benefit from this service, please contact us by telephone on 01883 732825 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain your situation.