Help with housing costs
If you are renting
If you are renting your current home you may be able to get help with your housing costs through housing benefit, or local housing allowance. The links below give you more information about how to get the help you need:
- Our Council Tax & Benefits department can give information on the government's benefit changes.
- What is housing benefit? General information about housing benefits and what it covers.
- If you live in a council or housing association property, and have more bedrooms than you are considered to need, you may be affected by the removal of the spare room subsidy.
- Use the benefits calculator to see if you are entitled to housing benefit and how much you are likely to receive.
- If you live in, or are moving into private rented accommodation find out more about Local Housing Allowance.
- The Local Housing Allowance calculator will tell you the level of benefit payable in your area, according to your circumstances.
- Benefit application form - if you already have all the information you need, simply fill out a housing benefits application form.
Or go to Frequently asked questions for any other questions about benefits.
If you are a home owner there are a number of ways in which you may be able to get help if you are in difficulty with your mortgage payments. You can find further information and advice on the Owning and Renting a property page.
If you are struggling to pay your mortgage, it's vital that you act now to stop your situation becoming worse. This leaflet from the National Housing Advice Service (NHAS) will help you get started
You can find out more about the NHAS at their website National Homelessness Advice Service (NHAS)
Further advice on dealing with debt can also be found