If you smell gas call 0800 111 999 - National Gas Emergency Service 24 hour line
- Don't smoke or strike matches
- Don' t turn electrical switched on or off
- Do put out naked flames
- Do open doors and windows
- Do keep people away from the affected area
- Do turn off the meter at the control valve
Works to install or remedy gas appliances
All works carried out to install or remedy existing gas appliances and installations, must be carried out by a registered Gas Safe installer. Gas Safe contractors are listed at www.gassaferegister.co.uk
If gas appliances are supplied by a landlord, they must employ a Gas Safe registered contractor to test them at least once every 12 months.
The Health and Safety Executive provides comprehensive advice on work place and home safety.