Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

What are income disregards?

In assessing the income of claimants the council disregards certain items. The main income disregards are:

  • Income tax, national insurance contributions and 50% of pension scheme payments paid by employed or self-employed persons.
  • £20 of earned income where the claimant or partner qualifies for the Disability Premium, the Severe Disability Premium, or under certain conditions, the Higher Pensioner Premium.
  • £25 of earned income if the claimant is a lone parent.
  • £20 of earned income from employment as a part-time fireman, auxiliary coastguard, part-time life boat crewman / launching team or a member of any territorial or reserve force.
  • £10 of earned income where one couple works and they do not qualify for a higher disregard.
  • £5 of all earned income that is not dealt with under the last four points above.
  • £17.10 if you or your partner work over 30 hours per week.
  • All earnings and other income of claimants on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based).
  • Income tax paid on unearned income.
  • Income received as an Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance.
  • Income received from the award of the Victoria Cross or George Cross.
  • Living away from home allowances and certain travelling expenses received under the Adult and Youth Training Programmes.
  • Job Start Allowances.
  • £20 of most voluntary or charitable allowances received at regular intervals.
  • Any War Disablement Pension or War Widows Pension.
  • Certain income in relation to loan interest under Annuity Schemes.
  • Assessed parental contributions to student children.
  • Assessed parental contributions subject to certain deductions.
  • Income received from children or non-dependants.
  • £20 per week of sub-tenant letting income.
  • Income received for fostering or similar arrangements.
  • Guardian's allowance.
  • 100% of maintenance received for a child.
  • Income received from the Social Fund.
  • Up to £175 per week if you work 16 hours or more a week and you pay registered childcare charges. Up to £300 per week if you have two or more children. In the case of a couple both must be working 16 hours or more per week.

« Back