Emergency situations are rare, but if they do happen, there are a few simple steps that can be taken to minimise the effects:
- Listen to the instructions given to you by the emergency services or on the TV or radio.
- Make sure your home is adequately insured and everything is covered
- Make sure your property is in good order.
- Check you know how to turn off your utilities eg gas, electricity and water supplies.
- It may also be useful to keep some items in a safe place that could be helpful in an emergency situation including a torch (and spare batteries), candles, cooking equipment (including a tin opener, utensils and cutlery), drinks (cans of juice bottled water), long life food (e.g. tinned food), portable radio and spare batteries, blankets, dry clothing and medication (including baby items)