How to make a complaint, comment and compliment
We aim to provide excellent service and welcome your complaints, comments and compliments.
These help us know when you think we have done well and where you think we could do better. We will make sure your compliments are passed onto the staff concerned and look carefully at your comments and complaints to see where we could make improvements.
If we do get something wrong, we want to be able to put it right.
How to make a complaint, comment or compliment
Complaints, comments and compliments can be made by:
- Completing a Complaints form.
- E-mailing email@example.com
- Writing to Customer Services, Tandridge District Council, Council Offices, 8 Station Road East, Oxted RH8 0BT.
- Visiting our offices in Oxted.
If you have any difficulties completing the forms, please contact customer services on 01883 722000 where we can assist you.
All complaints are dealt with confidentially. Please make sure you give us your name and contact details, as we cannot deal with anonymous complaints.
What happens next?
If you have made a complaint we will
- Acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days.
- Fully investigate and respond to your complaint within 10 working days.
Compliments are given to the service or member of staff concerned and reported to senior management and councillors.
Comments are given to the relevant service to consider.
Still not satisfied?
If you are unhappy with how your complaint has been dealt with, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by the Head of the Service concerned.
Please give us as much information as possible about the issue, how you would like it resolved and why you are unhappy about how we dealt with your original complaint.
In some complex cases it may take us longer than 10 working days to investigate your complaint. If this is the case, we will let you know how long it will take.
If you are still dissatisfied with the response given, you may ask for your complaint to be reviewed by the Chief Executive.
If you are still not happy, you have the right to take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman, which is an independent body and investigates complaints about councils.
If your complaint is housing-related, you should contact the Housing Ombudsman. The Designated Person referred to at Stage 2 of the Housing Ombudsman process is the current Vice-Chairman of the Council’s Housing Committee.
- Visit Local Government Ombudsman website for more information.
- Complete a Local Governments Ombudsmans online complaints form.
- Call 0300 061 0614.
- Writing to Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH.
What isn’t a complaint?
We do not consider the following to be a complaint:
- A request for a service, for example noise nuisance or removal of fly-tipping. You can request a service by calling us or use our report a problem page.
- A request for information or an explanation of council or government policy, such as why Council Tax is set at certain level.
- Where there is a disagreement with the result of a process that has its own appeal process, for example planning decisions, benefit decisions and parking fines.
- Issues concerning the conduct of a councillor. Complaints about the conduct of a councillor can be made by writing to the Monitoring Officer, Tandridge District Council, Council Offices, 8 Station Road East, Oxted RH8 0BT or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do we know we are getting better?
All of our complaints, comments and compliments are reported to senior management and councillors.
Our Overview and Scrutiny Committee receive a report each year explaining issues that have been raised and how we have dealt with them.
Other ways to comment
The Council encourages local people to get involved and be heard.
- You can present petitions at Council meetings.
- You can speak in support of or against a planning application.
- You can contact your local councillor.
For more information please read our Your Councillors leaflet.