Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys


We collect household waste that cannot be recycled, on alternate weeks. The waste must be in black sacks or your own bin and available for collection from 6am. We do not provide bins for general waste/rubbish and will not collect waste placed in your mixed recycling bin. Follow our tips on storing your waste hygienically.

There shouldn't be much left after you have recycled your food waste, all the items that can go in your blue lidded recycling bin and any textiles, small electrical items and batteries.

Bin and bag

What you can put in your black sack/bin

  • Bubble wrap.
  • Cling film.
  • Coat hangers.
  • Crisp packets.
  • Expanded polystyrene.
  • Hard plastic, such as toys, milk and beer crates.
  • Incontinence pads.
  • Nappies.
  • Pet litter (max 10kg weight).
  • Sanitary products.
  • Wet/used kitchen paper or tissues.

What you can't put in your black sack/bin

You can recycle some of these at a community recycling centre.

Waste collections

We aim to:

  • Collect your waste from your back door, if required, providing there are no locked gates or loose dogs and that it is clearly visible in the same location each time.
  • Return your bin (unless you are using a wheeled bin) and its lid.
  • Clear up any mess caused by the collectors.
  • Treat your property with care and respect.

You can put your waste in your own wheeled bin (please make sure the lid can close). It must not be up or down steps. Your household waste wheeled bin will be returned to the edge of your property - not back to where it was taken from.

If you use a dustbin please make sure it has a lid as this will help prevent it filling with rain water.

Guide to recycling and waste services available to households.

What happens to my waste?

Household waste that can’t be recycled is taken to the Allington Quarry Waste Management FacilityThis link will open in a new window (This link will open in a new window) (This link will open in a new window) (This link will open in a new window) in Kent where it is incinerated and the energy recovered. The site can generate up to 43 megawatts of power - enough to power Maidstone 1.3 times over - all from burning waste, which might otherwise end up in landfill.

Where should I leave my waste for collection?

Waste or rubbish (i.e. dustbin/black sack waste) can, where access is available, be collected from any point between your front boundary (nearest the road) and your back door. Please ensure that wherever you leave your waste the route taken by our collectors is safe and is in the same place for each collection. Typical problems include trip hazards, stairs without hand rails and slippery surfaces such as wooden decking.

Please note that recycling and food waste must always be presented at the front edge of your property nearest the road.

What can I take to the community recycling centres (tip/dump)?

These sites are owned by Surrey County Council and a current list of items you can recycle and dispose of are on their website.

Do I need proof of residency to use the local tip/dump?

You may need to provide proof of residency to use Surrey County Council's community recycling centres (tip/dump).

Can I use a van/lorry to take household waste to the tip/dump?

Yes but only with a valid van permit and the waste must not contain any construction waste. Please see Surrey County Councils website for more information.

How else can you get rid of unwanted household items?

If it can be reused try offering it to friends, family or colleagues, or advertise it on reuse websites such as Freecycle. Alternatively furniture may be accepted by reuse charities such as Furnistore.

If it cannot be reused there are many options for disposing of it. Here are some ideas.

How can I throw away sharp objects?

If you need to throw away broken glass, or something sharp in your rubbish, please wrap it to prevent the sharp edges from injuring the collection crew, place it in a tied carrier bag and attach a note warning the crew to be careful. Thank you for your help in keeping the crews safe.

How do I dispose of pet litter/bedding?

All pet litter (cat, guinea pig, rabbit, dog, etc) can go into your general waste bin however it must be wrapped up (to contain it as much as possible) and should not make the waste bag too heavy (up to 10kg).

Biffa's Green Waste Club are not able to take animal bedding or waste in the garden waste bins. Even where the animals are vegetarian, and the bedding is hay or straw, the waste is still the by-product of an animal. The facility used to compost your garden waste is not licensed to take animal by-products.

We acknowledge that pet bedding will compost beautifully but we cannot accept them due to regulations. The garden waste collection is just that, a garden waste collection. We suggest you compost these materials in a home compost bin which are available at subsided prices from Surrey County Council.