Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys


We are responsible for trees:

Our other tree work responsibilities  

We also:

  • Create new TPOs and investigate reports of unauthorised works to trees, sometime leading to prosecution
  • Liaise with the Forestry Authority about felling licences and woodland grant applications where protected woodland is affected.
  • Consider the effect of development proposals on trees on potential development sites.
  • Consider landscaping proposals submitted with planning applications.
  • Implement Hedgerow Regulations, requiring permission to be sought for the removal of most non-residential hedges over 30 years old and over 20 metres long.

Trees on council land, on council housing property or at the roadside

  • The way in which the council's trees are to be managed and the council's position in respect of frequently cited tree related concerns, are set out in our Tree Management Procedures
  • Trees on council land including our parks, open spaces and housing sites – any enquiries or concerns about these should be raised with us using our tree reporting form.
  • Trees on a council housing property – please contact your housing officer with your enquiry.
  • Trees at the roadside (public roads, pathways, pavements and verges by them) – Surrey County Council (SCC) looks after these and makes sure owners of private land next to roads keep their trees in a safe condition. Report concerns to Surrey Highways Contact Centre on 0300 200 1003 or online.