Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Maximising your income

If you are struggling to cover your bills, make sure you are claiming all the financial assistance you are entitled to. Don't forget many of you will have contributed through tax and national insurance. You can still claim even if you have not paid national insurance.

Benefits Advice

To find out if you are currently receiving all of the correct benefits, you can find useful information from the government's benefits adviser website or the benefits calculator provided by the charity Turn2us.

Below are some of the most common benefits you can claim. 

If you need assistance with personal care and are over 65, you may be able to claim Attendance Allowance.  

If you have someone in your home who needs care due to a disability and you do not work full time because they need your care, go to Carers Allowance.

Child Benefit  is paid to all families with children under the age of 20, who are still in full time education (up to A level). 

If you need assistance with personal care, and/or getting around due to a disability. You may be eligible for the Personal Independence Payment. You must be under 65 when you first claim.

If you are out of work or working just a few hours or if you are unable to work due to sickness or disability. You may be eligible to claim Employment and Support Allowance.  

Pension Credits

Pension Credit can be awarded to top up the basic, or no state pension and for pensioners with some savings.   

Tax Credits

If you are on a low income you can get Tax Credits. These are paid in your salary by your employer, who is reimbursed by the government, or direct into your account if you do not work. For information about:

Returning to work

Our housing advice team can offer help and guidance on learning and employment issues from a qualified adviser through The ETHOS Project