Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Leaseholders building insurance

We take out comprehensive building insurance for every leaseholder. It does not cover the contents of your home such as your furniture and other personal possessions. For these you need to take out your own home contents insurance policy.

Building insurance covers damage caused to the building by a range of events including:

  • Fire
  • Explosion
  • Aircraft
  • Subsidence
  • Earthquake
  • Malicious damage (not graffiti)

For details of your policy and to view the policy wording booklet click on the link below .

The excesses on the policy are:

  • £1,000 for each and every claim for Subsidence, Landslip and Heave
  • £50 all other claims

Making a claim

If you need to make a claim please call:

You will need to quote your policy number which is: 54798

In the case of malicious or theft damage, you should report the matter to the police immediately and get a crime reference number.

If you make any improvements to your property (for example, double glazing, fitted kitchen, bathroom suite, and so on) you should let our insurance section know immediately so we can ensure the sum insured for your flat is correct.

If there is damage to a part of the building which is the council responsibility to maintain, please notify the council and we will make the necessary arrangements including any insurance claim under our own policy if appropriate.

If there is damage to a part of the building which is the council’s responsibility to maintain and is covered by the councils insurance, we will make a claim.  You must only make a claim on your building insurance if part of the building you are responsible for maintaining is damaged.

Avoiding claims and keeping costs down

To help keep claims to a minimum and also keep the cost of insurance down, follow these tips:

  • Over half of all fires in the home start in the kitchen, so take care when cooking with hot oil or fat. Never leave chip pans unattended.
  • Always fit smoke detectors and test them regularly to make sure the batteries are working.
  • Make sure cigarettes and cigars are always properly extinguished.
  • Check electrical equipment and always follow the manufacturers' instructions in making sure that the correct fuses are used and circuits are not overloaded.
  • Regular maintenance of equipment, such as cookers and washing machines will reduce risk of damage.
  • Find out where the stopcock is and make sure you can turn it off.
  • Simple things like not leaving the plug in the sink or basin can reduce the risk of flooding