When calculating Council Tax amounts we do not include the following full time students or youth training trainees when counting the number of adults in a property, in line with government regulations:
- Students on full time courses – a student aged 18 or over, studying full time in further or higher education at a college or university that is recognised.
- Students on qualifying courses - a student under 20 undertaking a qualifying course of at least three months and studying for at least 12 hours per week between 8am and 5.30pm. This does not include higher education.
- Student nurses - a student nurse on a course that will lead to his or her first registration on any of Parts 1 to 6 or 8 of the register maintained under section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979.
- Students who are foreign language assistants - a student must be registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges.
- Youth training trainees – a person under 25 taking part in the government’s employment training scheme.
Apply for a discount
To apply for a discount or exemption, the person who pays the Council Tax should apply using the Discount application form and submit the evidence we ask for below) along with a Council Tax certificate issued by the college or university.
We will need to see the following evidence from you to support the discount application:
- Students on full time courses - the student certificate issued by the college or university should show the name of the student, the name of the course and the start and end dates of the course.
- Students on qualifying courses - the certificate issued by the college showing the name of the person on the course, their date of birth and the start and end dates of the course.
- Student nurses - the certificate issued by the hospital showing the name of the person on the course, a statement that he or she is following a course of education as a student nurse, the date they became a student nurse and the date when the course is expected to end.
- Students who are foreign language assistants - a student must provide evidence of their appointment as a foreign language assistant at a school or college in Great Britain.
- Youth training trainees – a statement from the scheme’s training manager, confirming the trainee’s status, the date their course started and the date it is expected to finish.