Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Reduction is a means tested support available to help pay Council tax bills. All your income is considered against an amount determined by your personal/family situation. 

The support is credited as an annual figure to your Council Tax bill and can be for all or part of your full Council Tax.   

Portrait of a smiling coupleApply using the Benefit Application Form.

Second adult rebate

If you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction you may be entitled to second adult rebate (also known as alternative maximum CTR) instead. 

You can claim second adult rebate if you have another adult living with you who:

  • is 18 or over
  • is not your husband, wife, partner or civil partner
  • doesn't have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax
  • doesn't have to pay you rent
  • is not a joint owner or joint tenant of the property with you
  • is not a licensee of the property
  • has income below a certain amount, or who gets certain benefits
  • is not someone who is ignored when the local authority works out who lives with you – for example someone who is currently in prison, or who is severely mentally impaired.


To apply complete our Application Form and return it to us along with proof of the gross incomes of the other adults living with you. 

You don’t have to supply us with details of your own income and/or savings but if you do we will use the information to calculate if you are entitled to main council tax benefit. We will compare the two (Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate) and award you the higher of the two. You are not entitled to both. 

Calculating Second Adult Rebate

This is based on the income of the second (other) adult/s who are resident in the property. The claimant must be the person liable to pay the Council Tax, who would have been awarded single occupier discount, but for the other second adult/s living in the property.

From 1 April 2015:

  • If all second adults are in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) Pension Guarantee Credit, Employment Support Allowance (Income Related), the claimant will be entitled to receive a 25% reduction.
  • If all second adults have a combined gross income of £188.99 or less per week the reduction will be 15%.
  • If all second adults have a combined gross income of between £189.00 and £245.99 per week the reduction will be 7.5%.
  • If all second adults have a combined gross income of £246.00 or more per week there is no entitlement to Second Adult Rebate.   

For information on allowances the government can provide visit Department of Work and Pensions.This link will open in a new window (This link will open in a new window)

For full information on our Council Tax Reduction Scheme please read Council Tax Support Regulations 2016