Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys

Benefit application form

Claiming housing benefit and council tax support

You can make a claim online  If you do not know your Council Tax account number or get an error message when you have entered it, leave this blank.

If you made your claim online, we’ll send you a summary of the details we’ll use to work out your benefit.  You need to check the information and tell us if anything is missing or wrong and supply your supporting documents.

To make a claim by post, print the Benefit Application Form (Local Housing Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction), complete, sign and date it and then return it to us, along with any original supporting evidence required. We cannot consider your claim for payment until we have all the evidence. We recommend you send everything to us in one go.  If you are unable to print the form please contact Benefits on 01883 722000 and we can send a form to you. 

What to claim for

If you or your partner are claiming Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Employment Support Allowance (Income related) you should apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

If you receive other benefits or are working with a low wage, you could still qualify for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support. Your eligibility for this will be assessed based on your income and your personal or family circumstances. As benefit is "means tested" you can qualify for the maximum of your weekly Council Tax or rent down to fifty pence per week (no lower limit for Council Tax).