The amount of housing benefit you will receive will depend on the number of people in your household, if you are of working age and renting
from us, a registered housing association or other registered social landlord. A size criteria is applied which allows one bedroom for:
- Every adult couple (married or unmarried)
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any 2 children of the same sex aged under 16
- Any 2 children of different sexes aged under 10
- Any other child (other than a foster child or child whose main home is elsewhere)
- A carer who does not live you but provides you or your partner with overnight care
- Children with severe disabilities where they are unable to share a bedroom.
If you have one or more extra bedrooms your housing benefit will be reduced by:
- 14% if you have one extra bedroom.
- 25% if you have two or more extra bedrooms.
Use our under occupancy calculator to work out the number of bedrooms you are entitled to for housing benefit calculations.