Skip to content
Home page
Site map
A-Z of services
Feedback form
List of access keys



Before demolishing a building you should contact the planning department to find out if you need permission. You will also need to inform Building Control if you intend to demolish the whole or part of a building subject to certain exemptions. Legally you should not start any demolition work unless you have told us.


Notification of a demolition is not required where:

  • The building’s external size is less than 50m3 (this is less than the average double garage).
  • The demolition is of an internal part of any occupied building, which is intended to remain occupied.
  • The building is a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, even if the building forms part of a larger building.
  • Certain agricultural buildings, unless they are near or attached to another building that is not an agricultural building.
  • A demolition order under the Housing Act 1985 has been served.

Demolition notice

The notice must specify the building and/or area to be demolished and can be filled in online or posted to us.

When you notify us of a proposed demolition, you must also send a copy of the notification to the occupiers of any adjacent buildings, Southern/Transco Gas Network and EDF Energy.

Our counter notice

Once you have sent us your notice we will send you a counter notice setting out our requirements about how the demolition should be undertaken. We will inform the following companies and people of your intention to carry out the demolition work:

  • Southern and Transco Gas Networks
  • EDF Energy
  • Thames or Southern Water Authority
  • The Environment Agency
  • The Fire Safety Service (where necessary)
  • The Planning section/LLPG custodian
  • HSE
  • Any adjacent occupiers

Demolition requirements could include:

  • Repairing and making good any damage to an adjacent building caused by the demolition or by the negligent act or omission of any person engaged in it.
  • Removing all materials and rubbish resulting from the demolition and leave the site clear.
  • Disconnecting and sealing, at such points as the Council may reasonably require, any sewer or drain in or under the building(s) to be demolished.
  • Removing any sewer or drain and sealing any sewer or drain with which the sewer or drain to be removed is connected.
  • Making good to the satisfaction of the Council the surface of the ground disturbed by anything done above.
  • Refraining from burning structures and materials on site unless arrangements have been made with the Fire Authority, and, where appropriate, the Health & Safety Executive for such operations to take place.
  • Carrying out the recommendations of BS 6187:2000, Code of Practice for Demolition, relevant to the type of demolition work proposed.
  • Ensuring before demolition work starts the site is fenced, hoarding, nets, barriers and other necessary measures are provided to ensure there is no damage or inconvenience to persons or adjoining land premises or highway while demolition work is in progress.
  • Ensuring any partially demolished part of the building and the site is adequately fenced and otherwise guarded so as not to present a danger to persons in or around the site.
  • Ensuring that the site is left in such a condition as not to be or likely to become detrimental to public amenity.
  • Removing all asbestos found in the building(s) and disposing of such asbestos in a safe and appropriate manner. A demolition survey as described by HSG264 will be necessary. Detailed guidance on the arrangements and precautions necessary can be found at the Health and Safety Executive's website.